Call for Poster Abstracts
6th Annual Student Poster Session
2019 Landscape Industry Council of Hawaii Green Industry Conference
The Landscape Industry Council of Hawaii (LICH) is inviting undergraduate and graduate students to submit abstracts for this year’s Student Poster Session at the LICH Green Industry Conference. The conference will be held at the Hawaii Convention Center on October 14, 2019. Abstracts of current or recently completed research which have relevant applications to landscaping or the landscape industry in Hawaii (e.g. design, installation, management, plant propagation and selection, ornamental plant pests and diseases, environmental issues, etc.) are
eligible. Abstracts are limited to 200 words and should state briefly and clearly the purpose, methods, results (or results to date) and conclusions of the study. Impacts or contributions of the research to landscaping/landscape industry should also be clearly stated in the abstract. The LICH conference is well attended by landscape
professionals in the state (i.e. landscape architects, landscapers, nursery industry, horticulturists, arborists, botanical garden/arboreta staff, turf and greens keepers, etc.). The goals of the student poster session are: 1) to provide a venue for presenting research results relevant to industry and industry professionals, and 2) to provide professional training and networking opportunities to students.
The top two research posters will be selected by conference attendees and will be featured in an
article in the LICH magazine, Hawaii Landscape. The guidelines for submitting abstracts are as follows:
Abstracts must use the attached submission form. Email the completed submission form to email@example.com.
If accepted, the student must prepare a poster to be presented at the conference.
Poster dimensions and directions will be sent upon acceptance of the abstract.
Students with accepted posters must register by October 11, 2019 at the student registration rate ($50) to attend. Morning snack, lunch, and full access to conference sessions, and activities are included in the registration fee
Poster Abstract Due: October 4, 2019
Acceptance Notification: October 7, 2019
Author Registration Deadline: October 11, 2019
We accept all landscape-related topics such as:
Nursery production/plant propagation/seed conservation techniques
New or potential landscape plants
Native Hawaiian plants
Greenroofs (e.g. design, installation, maintenance, plants)
Landscape pest issues (e.g. diseases, insect pests and weeds)
Plant nutrition issues (i.e. fertilization, nutrient deficiencies, toxicities etc.)
Water issues in the landscape (e.g. xeriscaping, water efficient irrigation)
Environmental impacts of landscaping
Abstract Format Guidelines Title
1. The abstract title should be as brief as possible but long enough to indicate clearly the nature of the study.
2. Capitalize only the first letter of the first word and any proper nouns (e.g. Propagation of native Hawaiian Hibiscus through stem cuttings). Scientific names should be italicized. Do not use all caps.
3. Do not include a period at the end of the title.
Authors and Affiliations
1. For each author, include the full name (first name, middle initial, surname) and affiliation (institution/company, city, state/province, country if other than US)
2. Include an asterisk at the end of the name of the poster presenter
3. Define acronyms and write out complete names of affiliations.
1. The abstract must be written as one paragraph. It should briefly explain the background of the study, methods used, results, conclusions and impacts to the landscape industry.
2. It should be 200 words or less.
3. It must not contain citations.
4. All scientific names should be italicized or underlined.
5. All acronyms should be spelled out and defined upon first usage unless well known.
To Download the Attached Submission Form